Over a three year project, Tonya Easter, our Schools Worker is working with junior, primary, secondary and special schools across Brighton and Hove to raise awareness of the issues facing young carers.
The work includes:
- Training schools staff to identify and support young carers
- Running awareness raising sessions for pupils (Year 6 and 7) during PSHE class
- Providing resource packs for staff, and posters for staff, pupils and parents
- Supporting the creation and development of peer support groups for young carers
- Establishing a schools policy for young carers
- Identifying and working with a dedicated link worker in each school
Through increased awareness and understanding, the schools work is: reducing the stigma of being a young carer (and thereby the subsequent risk of bullying); advocating for young carers within schools; and helping to identify more young carers across the city.
To speak to someone about our schools work please call us on (01273) 746222 or email us at email@example.com.