Support for Schools
Working with Junior, Primary, Secondary and Special schools across Brighton and Hove, our Schools Worker, Lizzie Hovard, is raising awareness of the issues facing young carers.
“There are over 500 children under the age of 18 caring for a parent, brother or sister in Brighton and Hove, 115 of these were under the age of 11.”
This project works with schools to help reduce the stigma of being a Young Carer, raises awareness and understanding for fellow pupils, teachers,support staff and parents, as well as advocating for young carers in schools and helping to identify more Young Carers throughout Brighton and Hove.
The project includes:
- Training schools staff to identify and support Young Carers
- Running awareness raising sessions for pupils (Year 6 and 7) during PSHE class
- Providing resource packs for staff, and posters for staff, pupils and parents
- Supporting the creation and development of peer support groups for young carers
- Establishing a schools policy for Young Carers
- Identifying and working with a dedicated link worker in each school
To speak to someone about our schools work please call us on (01273) 746222 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org