Juggling work and care – Supporting Working Carers
Are you a business in Brighton and Hove? Did you know 1 in 7 of your workforce could be a Carer?
Balancing work and care can be hard. Without support and understanding at work, carers can suffer from high levels of stress and exhaustion. The effects of this can be damaging both in the workplace and at home. We often hear from local carers who are struggling balancing work and care.
Latest research by Carers UK (Juggling Work and Unpaid Care Report 2019) states:
- 2.6 million give up work in order to care
- 2 million carers reduce their working hours
The top interventions that workers find useful:
- A supportive employer or line manager
- Flexible working
- Additional paid leave
- Peer support network at work
The Carers Hub can help your business become more carer friendly
Hear from our Working Carers Lead on Latest TV
- Brighton and Hove SMEs can get free membership to Employers for Carers providing access to the online members’ platform, EfC Digital, containing guides, e-Learning, information about statutory rights, best practice examples, templates, sample policies and case studies and an employers’ forum; designed to help build your strategy around supporting working carers.
- All local organisations can also get free access to the Digital Resource for Carers: a dedicated online platform designed to support working carers through a full range of online resources they can access anytime, anywhere, including e-Learning, Jointly – Carers UK’s care co-ordination app, information and support on health and wellbeing, carers rights and supportive ideas on balancing working and caring.
The Carers Centre for Brighton and Hove and the Carers Hub also offer:
- Posters and leaflets – signposting staff to local support including Carers Hub
- Download a pdf or our Working Carers flyer: Working Carers Pdf Flyer
- Download a pdf of our Employing Carers flyer: Employing Carers Pdf Flyer
- Carer Awareness Training for line managers and key staff
- Awareness raising events at your workplace to help engage your staff
Contact Carers Hub for more information on how we can help you support your staff.