1st April 2021 update – Covid-19 vaccinations for unpaid carers
Am I eligible for a vaccination as an unpaid carer?
Unpaid carers include anyone who is eligible for a Carer’s Allowance, or anyone who is the main carer for someone whose welfare may be at risk if their carer fell ill.
Does that include parent carers?
Yes, across Sussex the NHS is including as many eligible parent carers as possible. In Sussex parent carers are eligible if they are caring for a child or young person up to 25, with a special educational need or disability that has a big effect on them every day.
As a guide, this usually means your child has, or is eligible for, Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Education Health and Care (EHC) plan, a Compass or iGO Card, or is accessing services such as Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).
Does that include young carers (16- or 17-year olds)?
Yes, Sussex CCG are currently working with carers’ organisations and Local Authorities to identify a specific route to invite young carers to specific vaccination centres that are administering the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine.
How can I get vaccinated?
Currently, there are two ways that you can access a vaccination:
- Register with your local carers’ organisation, (see below) and we will help you access the local vaccination services via your GP led local vaccination service or,
- Book online via the National Booking Service (click here) or call 119 (however bookings are suspended nationally in April).
Register with a carers’ organisation
Do you look after a relative, friend or neighbour who could not manage without your support? Many people supporting in this way will not previously have registered as an unpaid carer.
If you are not already registered with a carers’ organisation, you may wish to do so.
Registering with a local carers’ organisation means you can get information and support when you need it most. You can also be kept up to date with how to access a Covid-19 vaccination as an unpaid carer.
- In Brighton & Hove: The Carers Centre for Brighton and Hove. Register via Carers Hub or call 01273 977 000 for more information
- In East Sussex: Care for the Carers/ 01323 738 390 / email@example.com
- In West Sussex: Carers Support West Sussex
- Parent Carers with children under the age of 25 across Sussex can register with Amaze at https://amazesussex.org.uk/register-as-a-parent-carer/ or you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org 01273 772289